
Independent Women
In honour of Independence Day I want to celebrate those strong heroines we remember from some of our favourite classic novels. Forget snivelling damsels waiting to be rescued...
I want a feisty leading lady who knows her own mind and challenges the hero to love her just the way she is. No matter how quirky she is or how big her bum looks in those skinny jeans.
Of course, a truly independent woman doesn't need a man to complete her but, well, as a reader I wants me some romance. Pride and Prejudice's Elizabeth Bennett is a forthright, opinionated character but that doesn't stop Mr Darcy being smitten.
I like to take my heroines on a journey of independence in their stories. Sometimes the hero is instrumental to helping her stand on her own two feet and other times he's just there for the sex! But by the end of the book I like to think she can live quite happily with or without a significant other.
Take the heroine from 'In Her Element', my story in The Blood Bar Chronicles. Ana starts off as a shy virgin who lives at home with mum but by the end, she's shagging in a public park with no intention of returning to her over-bearing mother.
'In Her Element' - Blurb
In Her Element by Jorja Lovett
When quiet Ana Chapman meets Fire Elemental, Zanaan, at the Blood Bar, a night of hot sex makes her realize just what she's been missing.
For the first time in her life, Ana Chapman is ready for a little excitement. Escaping her mother's tyranny in Belfast for one weekend in Edinburgh to meet her online writers' group seems more than enough to cope with. But her visit to the Blood Bar changes everything. Spontaneous public orgasms, supernatural beings, and teleportation weren't on her agenda for the trip. Neither was losing her virginity.
Zanaan is a Fire Elemental, who most humans can't see. When the shy Irish lass locks eyes with him in the bar, he's drawn to her, and this time it isn't the Salamander legend spurring his chase to bed a mortal. After a night of passion with Ana, he feels the effects immediately—he's losing his powers and becoming human. It's what he always wanted. Isn't it?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Alphas-Blood-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B007W1S8QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341080440&sr=8-1&keywords=the+blood+bar+chronicles
If you want to be in with a chance of winning a copy of The Blood Bar Chronicles Book One: The Alphas, just leave a comment with your e-mail address and I'll put you into the draw. Join in the hop here and find a whole host of fab authors offering prizes.

Great post Jorja. Fiesty women rock!
ReplyDeleteGreat Jorja! I love Ana!!
ReplyDeleteLove it!
ReplyDeleteevabrittcc@gmail.com
Love a feisty, independent woman.
ReplyDeleteWolphcall(at)bellsouth(dot)net
Sounds like a great read...thanks for the chance to win...and hope you have a great 4th of July.
ReplyDeleteauthorleighsavage@gmail.com
I love feisty heroines too, this book definitely is up my alley. added it to my list as well.
ReplyDeletevampiremistress2010(at)gmail(dot)com
I love feisty heroines! It makes for a much better story. Elizabeth Bennett is my all time favorite heroine! Thanks for the giveaway. Happy Independence Day!
ReplyDeletekaylyndavis1986@yahoo.com
I love a heroine that is feisty and smart, I think your new book sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance in drawing, mawmom@gmail.com
Congratulations Kaylyn D, you've won the copy of The Blood Bar Chronicles :)I will send it to you shortly.
ReplyDelete