Pages

The Romance Reviews

Thursday, 10 October 2013

Going on a Blood Hunt with Naomi Clark


Blood Hunt

Ayla Hammond is taking on Paris. Hoping for a romantic getaway in the City of Lights with her girlfriend, Shannon, she finds a city under the dark thrall of Le Monstre. Getting caught up in mystery and murder was the last thing Ayla and Shannon wanted or expected, but as the body count grows and tension rises between Parisian werewolves and humans, they find themselves stalked by an unknown terror. 

What is Le Monstre and why does it make Ayla's wolf want to turn tail and run? Can it be stopped before they become its next victims?


Excerpt:

“How do you stand it?” I asked Sun back in the living room. “I mean, when was the last time you shapeshifted? Isn’t it driving you mad?”
“It did at first,” she replied, handing me a cup of watery tea. “For like, the first three months I was just crazy, even with all the herbal supplements they give you. All I wanted to do was hunt, you know? But then my doctor told me if I shifted in the first trimester, I’d have to stay as a wolf for the whole pregnancy.” She sniffed. “Well, that’s fine for ferals, but I need manicures, you know?”
Clémence and I both laughed. Although checking out Sun’s lime-green nails, I had no doubt she was deadly serious.
 “One of the local alphas, he says it is good for us to be as wolves when we have cubs,” Clémence said. “He says there would be more cubs if we lived more like wolves.”
It wasn’t a new idea. Plenty of wolves and humans alike believed our declining birth rates were down to us becoming ‘too human’. I’d done Lupine Psychology for a term at school—until I realized Drama was less work and switched—and I’d read all the essays on how we’d mentally separated from our wolf side over the past hundred years or so, to fit in better with humans. How that ‘coming out’ on our part was the start of our falling numbers. I wasn’t sure how much I believed that particular theory. We’d been living side-by-side with humans forever, after all. Just because one day they realized it, didn’t mean we stopped having cubs.
Clémence and Sun happily chattered away about pregnancy and cubs, while I sipped my tea and thought about the secrecy wolves had lived in throughout history. We’d hidden away, living by night, holding our Lupercali ceremonies in secret, our hunts in the dead of winter in the thickest forests where no humans would see us. We walked as men under the sun, as beasts under the moon. We’d endured witch hunts, Inquisitions and Satanic panics before our secret existence was revealed to the humans we’d been lying to for so long. It added up to about two million years or so of living undetected.
It made me realize that it wasn’t that much of a stretch to imagine that something else could be out there, hiding right under our noses.

Available from Evernight Publishing

Naomi Clark

Naomi Clark lives in Cambridge and is a mild-mannered office worker by day, but a slightly crazed writer by night. She has a perfectly healthy obsession with giant sea creatures and a preference for vodka-based cocktails. When she's not writing, Naomi is probably either reading or watching 80s cartoon shows, and sometimes she manages to do all three at once.



No comments:

Post a Comment