This week I'm having some alone time...
Morning Glory
The mist curled around her feet as she walked. The morning sun hadn't yet breached the gloom of the forest. Some would have found it eerie, but to her, the woods were a safe haven. There was no loud traffic, no constant chatter, and best of all, no one else around. In this day and age it was difficult to find a quiet spot for any length of time before someone crashed in with their toxic barbecues, and noisy ball games.
For now, the only sound echoing among the trees was the steady thump of her feet on the wooden walkway. She paused to listen to the soothing background noise of nature around her. The rustle of leaves falling to the ground, the first bird song high in the trees as morning broke, and the gentle ripple of water running alongside her, went some way to calming the fast beat of her heart.
She breathed the cool, crisp, air into her lungs, wishing she could stay here forever.
All too soon, her peace was shattered. She held her breath, afraid to move as she heard a twig snap in the distance.
"Look, a deer!"
And she was off and running.
A true seduction of another sort. You had me enjoying the quiet surrounds of the forest and countryside, then ~ BAM! ~ your solemn commune with your natural surrounds is interrupted and you are off: running for your life!! Loved this totally surprised by the last line. xo
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
Deleteoh gorgeous. I was there...
ReplyDeleteYou live there, Raven lol
DeleteBeautifully written with excellent description
ReplyDeleteYour words of her retreat in the forest away from all human activity was serene. You captured her peace and solitude until the end. I'm stunned.
ReplyDeleteOh, so clever! Loved it, Jorja :-)
ReplyDeleteWonderful! This one got me. It was funny because when I read "thump" on the bridge I immediately thought it was a wonderful contrast between the human sounds and the natural sounds, so your twist got me doubly hard. Loved it!
ReplyDeleteloved the visual of this and I love places like this so to me it especially hit home.... well crafted and nicely written... hugs T
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written. Feel like I'm there with her :-)
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written. I was right there!
ReplyDeletePerfectly captured, Jorja (the mood, but we hope not the deer). You brought me back to a favourite place of my childhood, before the beautifully judged turnabout at the end.
ReplyDelete